Saturday, February 25, 2023

The second year has begun in a war that was orchestrated by an evil man. Allowed by those who prop him up, the loss of life is massive and atrocities vast.  

A part of the living slowly dies as loved ones perish. The lyrics speak to a missing son. Daughters, sisters, brothers, wives, husbands, aunts & uncles have died in this war as well. 

Gorecki's Symphony No. 3, Third Movement

Where has he gone
My dearest son?
Perhaps during the uprising
The cruel enemy killed him

Ah, you bad people
In the name of God, the most Holy,
Tell me, why did you kill
My son?

Never again
Will I have his support
Even if I cry
My old eyes out

Were my bitter tears
to create another River Oder
They would not restore to life
My son

He lies in his grave
and I know not where
Though I keep asking people
Everywhere

Perhaps the poor child
Lies in a rough ditch
and instead he could have been
lying in his warm bed

Oh, sing for him
God's little song-birds
Since his mother
Cannot find him

And you, God's little flowers
May you blossom all around
So that my son
May sleep happily

Note: I chose this work by Henryk Górecki because it speaks to loss. First heard at the end of a film, it was so moving that I bought the recording. Upon reading the credits, I saw that the soprano who touched me deeply was a childhood school mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment